10 Bean Soup
- 1 lb (2 cups) of your favorite bean soup mix (soaked overnight and rinsed off)
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- To taste: dried basil, dried oregano, a dash of dried fennel, fresh or dried thyme, or use 2-3 T of Herbs de Provence
- 4 cups broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes in juice
- Grey salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Cubed ham pieces (optional, but adds a ton of flavor!)
Toss the soaked soup mix into a large pot with the broth and bring to a boil.
While that's getting started saute the veggies, and add the seasonings. Saute for about 5 minutes or until they start to soften.
Add the veggies to the soup pot, and toss in the canned tomatoes and the cubed ham.
Partially cover and simmer for about an hour. If the soup starts to get thick, add more water.
Taste and season accordingly!
This soup was a hit in our home! Matt kept telling me how delicious it was...WIN!