Saturday, March 23, 2013

Homemade Almond Milk | So Easy!

We go through a lot of almond milk in our home. We actually just started using it because we're trying to cut back on our dairy intake. My husband is becoming more and more sensitive to lactose, and at the advice of a friend we decided to give almond milk a try as a dairy replacement. So far we really like it, especially in our 180 Smoothees!

However, almond milk isn't cheap. It's about $3 for one quart. And when we each drink a 180 Smoothee every day, we were spending A LOT on almond milk... like up to $20 per week. Not acceptable.

Apparently, making your own almond milk is all the rage. And now I can see why. It's super easy. As in RIDICULOUSLY EASY. Especially if you follow the recipe and use a blender like the author calls for instead of a food processor. (Not that I would know about that or the mess that ensued from trying to use said food processor first.)

So, I Googled "how to make almond milk" and tried one of the first recipes that popped up.

Here you go! Let me know if you try to make your own!

HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK
Source: Barefeet in the Kitchen
Yields 4 cups
1 cup raw almonds
4 cups filtered water
pinch of salt


Soak your almonds for at least 8 hours in filtered water. I put mine in a glass measuring bowl early in the morning, then got to 'milking' around 8pm the same evening.


Rinse the almonds with water and put in your blender along with 4 cups of filtered water. Blend on high for a few minutes until it gets frothy. It took about two minutes with my blender.


Put a fine mesh sieve (strainer) over a bowl and put a thin tea towel or cheesecloth in the sieve. Pour your almond mixture into the towel about 1/3 at a time and let most of it strain through.


Once you've emptied your blender, carefully wring the cloth so you get the rest of the almond milk out.

You're going to be left with almond meal (aka almond flour). I put my in a baggy and tossed in the freezer...I'm sure I can find some way to use it later.


Taste your almond milk and add any flavorings you wish if it's too nutty for you. I added a pinch of grey salt and a dash of vanilla.

Pour it into a glass container and refrigerate until needed. It will separate in the fridge; just give it a good shake to mix it up.

What I love about making my own almond milk is that 1) it's cheaper than buying in the store and 2) I can add control the amount of sugar (if any) that's in it!



4 comments :

  1. I've never heard of Almond milk... This is a neat idea though. Oh! and the Dino is So scary! Like, I'd totally be to scared to touch the coffee pot ;) haha Good post!

    -Queen Mommy
    www.mt2sm.blogspot.com
    MommyTrying2SurviveMonday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. One of my Friday Favorites last week was Almond Milk, but you're right, it can get expensive. And I drink a Proflex shake every day. I will have to look into this!! Thanks for sharing!


    Penny at Green Moms and Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica, it's Erica from our Mommys FB group. This is such a great idea! I have never thought about doing something like this but I think I might just have to give it a try.

    Erica
    www.ericastartwalking.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete