Monday, January 13, 2014

What's in My Hair Styling Products? | Reading Labels

If you read my Facebook posts, you may have seen a post a few days back about the ingredient DMDM Hydantoin that's found in a lot of your everyday products like your hair care and body care products.

What is it?

According to wikipedia:
DMDM hydantoin is an antimicrobial formaldehyde releaser preservative with the trade name Glydant. DMDM hydantoin is an organic compound belonging to a class of compounds known ashydantoins. It is used in the cosmetics industry and found in products like shampooshair conditioners, hair gels and skin care products.[1][2]
DMDM hydantoin works as a preservative because the released formaldehyde makes the environment less favorable to the microorganisms.

So basically, DMDM hydantoin is a form of formaldehyde. Formaldehyde can hide in your products under other names, such as: diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, quaternium-15, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol, and sodium hydroxylmethylglycinate.

Why do I take issue with this? I don't want any type of formaldehyde on my skin or anyone else in my family. Plus, while I know these types of ingredients are cost effective to the manufacturers, I really believe continued use over long periods of time can and will have an effect on our overall health.

While purchasing safer, more natural products seems more expensive today, I believe on down the road you might prevent future doctor visits, illnesses, a general feeling of 'yuck' by switching. Just my two cents!

OK, so after finding out about DMDM hydantoin, I went on a search through our home to see if we had any products that contained it. I was CERTAIN that we didn't.  (I know our cleaning products don't have this chemical in them; we use the best and safest!)

Boy, was I wrong!

Here's what I found. These are the hair styling products in our home that contain DMDM hydantoin.



Ugh. Time to get busy on our mission of eliminating ALL potentially toxic products in our home!

Question for you: What hair products do you use that are safe and natural? I'd love to have some recommendations!!

Note: I'm not a scientist, nor am I an expert in the chemicals field. I'm just a wife and mom on a continual search to replace potentially hazardous products in our home with safer, natural, effective alternatives. If I have written something that's in accurate, please feel free to start a discussion below!



post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment