Thursday, June 20, 2013

Getting Rid of Sugar Ants

Every year at about this time, we have a sugar ant attack in our kitchen. Usually, we can solve the problem by just keeping the counters extra clean, making sure food is put away, and no water in the sink.

This year, though, those stinking ants would not go away! I tried every natural, non-toxic way I could think of, to no avail.

Sigh.

After lots of research, I finally found something that works! Yippee! Now, there's lots of good and negative thoughts on Borax. I actually have it because my boys like to make Gloop and Borax is one of the ingredients. You can decide for yourself if Borax is something you want to use in your home.

So here's the recipe that works at getting rid of those darn ants!

1 c very warm water
1/2 c sugar
2 T Borax

Mix together until it mostly dissolves. Soak some cotton balls in the solution, then place the cotton balls in the areas where you're seeing the ants.

The theory is the ants will gravitate towards this concoction, eat it, take it back to their friends, share it, then they all die. I don't know if that's what happens, but I can tell you that we stopped seeing those pesky ants within one day!

Do you have any tried and true remedies for keeping sugar ants away?

No comments :

Post a Comment